Friday, June 5, 2009

Rainbow Sunshine


Time for an update on my Lone Star quilt! The star points are sewn together. I am using a book by Judy Martin as my reference guide. She is so thorough and helpful that my quilt is coming together quite nicely. Yes! I could have paid a bit more attention to which way I am pressing my seams, but what is done is done.

The four corner blocks are these lovely butterflies I found in an applique book I have had for some time. The butterflies are fused to the background and then blanket stitched in place. The body is added after the wings. I will embroider antennae by hand later. Each butterfly is a different fabric, not all the same as in the star.

Here is the back side of the butterfly body. The fusible web is applied only to the edge of the piece so it is not so stiff and bulky. This is a raw edge, but with the fusible and the blanket stitch I think it is quite acceptable. Very fun to do!

This week I have been sewing the butterfly blocks to the star. I thought there might be tears at this step, but it is coming together quite well. The quilting angels must be helping me. Do you ever call on the angels to help you? I do!



2 comments:

Margo in Maine said...

Oh beth it is beautiful....stunning...

SueR said...

Love that butterfly pattern, and the lone star looks beautiful. Fusible and machine blanket stitched is my favorite way to applique--is that what you're doing?