Every year at the end of May my quilt group has an auction. We all bring in items from our sewing rooms that we no longer want and donate them to the auction. Plenty of fabric, patterns, unfinished projects, rulers, and gadgets fill the tables. We have a great time; it is a lot of fun and a great way to finish off our official year. Of course, the ice cream social helps, too.
One year someone brought in a crazy quilt kit that she had been given and never made. One member won the bid and this year she suggested to the group that each person who wanted to participate could work on one block and we would get it done. The blocks are 14 inches with a center block about 12 x 18, I think. The sashing is black velvet and we will all get together to work on that. The silk ribbon in the kit is just gorgeous, all hand dyed in lovely soft colors. Each block is a different flower or herb.
Here's mine, the tea rose. There are two folded ribbon roses in the center, made from 1 inch wide ribbon. The leaves are from narrow variegated green ribbon. So much fun! Luscious...
Arranging the fabrics around the center rose was quite a challenge. Balancing color and texture, trying to make all the pieces fit took two days. I added a bit of tea dyed hankie at the bottom. The little flowers on the lower right were made from loops of 5 inches of ribbon gathered together. Stems in stem stitch and the leaves in ribbon stitch.
We also went to Bonnie's sewing room sale (she's downsizing) where I picked up a fistful of fat quarters for a song. I'm delighted!
That's all for today. I've done some more on the crazy quilt block and will show you an update soon.