Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Camping and Crazy Quilting


We decided to go on one last camping trip over the weekend recently. We drove up to the Big Eddy campsite on the Dead River near the dam at Flagstaff Lake. Flagstaff Lake was created in the 1940s by flooding an area for a hydro dam. You can see photos on the internet of the houses and towns that were submerged in the process. It must have been heartbreaking for the people who lived there and there is still evidence of habitation on the shores of the lake. This area on the Dead River is very popular with fishing enthusiasts in the early summer. We were the only ones camping on this November weekend. We did see one couple stop and fish in the river in their fishing waders. Must have been chilly and I don't know what fish would be biting at a lure this time of the year. 



Soup and grilled cheese. Lunch is served. We were very cozy in our warm camper. It was very chilly on our first day here. We hiked up the river and along the road. There is a lookout spot where you can look at the rapids. The water looked mighty cold.


I printed some images onto fabric. I really like the way these turned out. Don't you love the cowgirl? I used to want to be a cowgirl when I was little. That was back in the 1950s when there were lots of cowboy and Indian shows on tv. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans loomed large in my younger years. I am experimenting with sewing these pieces into crazy quilt blocks. These are from the Graphics Fairy. 


Halloween Crazy Quilt block. Halloween is not really my thing but it was fun to have this up. I had a fat quarter of this fabric and added some orange and black. 


Experimenting with hand dyeing some cotton swatches. I really like the smoky pale colors. 


I loved working on this piece. I made the wreath first and then decided to put the kitty in the center. Isn't she cute? I really like using the pale colors for the crazy patches and using that as a background for more embellishment. So fun to add the stitching and all the trims. I haven't finished this with backing and binding yet. That's the boring bit, isn't it? On to something new is my habit. I will finish this as a little wall hanging. 

I've added a Pinterest button to my blog and hope you will pin some of my pieces! I finally figured out how to do that. Hey, I'm a quilter not a computer techie. 

Happy Stitching! 

No comments: