Saturday, January 1, 2011

And a Happy New Year!

"Chickadee Dreams" pattern by Ty Livingston for Bigfork Bay Cotton Company. I used the pattern but there is a kit available, too. Since "Chickadee24" is my username on Ravelry and The Quilt Show, I really identify with this little wall hanging.

The quilt starts with a 14 inch square of black fabric. The pieces that make up the chickadee, the mountains, even the birch bark branch are all cut out and fused to the black background. The fabric pieces are spaced to allow the black to show through. Rather like stain glass quilts or like a woodcut. Now that I understand the concept I would like to play around with this a bit for my own designs. Laura Wasilowski has made some quilts this way, too. Interesting possibilities. Of course the batik fabrics really help keep the edges neat and clean. Not every piece in this quilt is a batik, but most of them are. I used Wonder Under for the fusible.



Just a couple of Christmas vignettes before we pack everything away for another year.


Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Margo in Maine said...

Just adorable....what a cutie...Happy New Year....just finished a mystery quilt-New Years...fun!