Saturday, October 15, 2011

Santa Fe Sunset


Santa Fe Sunset!
I made this wall hanging for the living room to hang above my new loveseat which is a sandy gold color with black wood trim. I've never been to Santa Fe, but this is how I imagine sunset would look like with a thousand stars in the night sky.


I used Eleanor Burns Radiant Star Quilts book for the basic layout and used her strip technique to sew the star together. EQ7 helped me audition colorways. Believe me I came up with a hundred different colorways! The quilt measures approximately 52x52.

I embroidered the black squares and triangles with DMC #5 perl cotton. Then I added the gold sequins and beads. Lots of sparkle! It really twinkles when the lights are low.


The quilting was done on my domestic Janome sewing machine. I made another lone star quilt a few years ago and quilted it the same way. I used the free motion mode zig zag and stitched through the center of each diamond. 


A few more sparklies in the center...


My DD took some macro shots with my camera. Cool! 
I free motion stitched the borders with some loopy loops  and spirals. 

Santa Fe Sunset will be shown at the Backroad Quilters show in West Gardiner, Maine next weekend. Come and see!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the way you integrated the embroidery with your patchwork! Lovely colors, too.

:) linda

Margo in Maine said...

Very nice...will look forward to seeing it 'live'...will be a fun weekend..I have 6 going in the show..unusual for me as I give so many away..