Friday, June 13, 2014

Scrap lovin'

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been cutting my scraps into strips as Bonnie Hunter teaches in her workshops and books. I found this Sister's Choice quilt block on her website at quiltville.com. I love this block but I need to pay a bit more attention to my piecing next time. These two blocks came out about 1/2 inch different in size. Not good. Not good at all! Bonnie says that a neutral is any fabric that does not have enough going on to stand alone as a feature fabric. She also mixes her neutrals up within a block which does make the block and the quilt more interesting. The star points are made by taking a rectangle of neutral and placing two star point squares at the ends. Sew diagonally and flip. I like that method a lot but that's where I ran into trouble as these sections need to be accurate.



I bought the Easy Angle ruler and Companion Angle ruler that Bonnie talks about. I have a collection of rulers and many of them just languish on the shelf because I have forgotten how to use them or did not find them that useful to begin with. 

The Easy Angle makes cutting and piecing half square triangles really easy! No kidding, I love it! I made a bunch of four patches and half square triangles the other night and stuck them on my design wall. I love the bright yellow with the red. 


Four patches with Broken Dishes...not sewn together, just playing around.


This one is Dakota Farmer and Bonnie had the pattern in the December 2013 issue of Quiltmaker magazine. Twelve half square triangle units in this one. 

Not sure what I'm going to make but it is fun just to cut and sew and see what happens. I'll show you more about the Easy Angle ruler and the Companion Angle ruler next time. 


No comments: