Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Welcome to the Island

Hello from Quilt Island! Quilting has been my passion for many years. My mother taught me to quilt when I was in my twenties. She took quilting classes with her friends back in the 1970s when the great quilt revival was happening around the Bicentennial. I learned how to piece from her, but did not really get going with my own quilting until my children were born in the mid-1980s.

I've done many crafts in the past and still am a passionate knitter, but when I started quilting again I felt I could leave all the other crafts behi
nd. I had found my niche, and I have happily stayed with it all these years.(Well, I recently have been indulging in dollhouses and have a blog for that, too.) I love quilt history and sharing my quilts with my friends at Tacoma Lakes Quilters here in Maine. I am a member of the Pine Tree Quilters Guild in Maine.

Last weekend I went to Cottonweeds in Freeport for just a few fat quarters. Right! Is that possible? While I was getting my fabric cut I saw a beautiful wall hanging or lap quilt behind the cutting table. Hmm, maybe that's why they put it there. Anyway, I found out it was a block of the month project. I have never done one before and this one was only for four or five months, so I signed up. It is c
alled Holiday Chorus and features a panel of different birds including a cardinal, a chickadee and a nuthatch. The colors are soft and warm, gold and brown, deep red and olive green. It has a Christmas look to it because of the red and green but will be suitable throughout the winter season.

Here is the first installment...
Please come back to Quilt Island soon!

2 comments:

Margo in Maine said...

I love it....congratulations on joining with us...it is a lot of fun...I have contact with so many...whenever I visit Yahoo (one of my groups) I put my link after my name..I learn a lot..a great link is morning ramble...It is on my favorites...check it out...

Barb D said...

Hello again Beth - I read your blog (love it!) and saved it to my favorites. Did you know that Alex Anderson is going to be in our area in October for a lecture and truck show? If you didn't and want to go, contact Cote Bros. in Auburn - they still have tickets!!