Sunday, January 22, 2012

Introducing "Ann"






Remember this? On December 29 I wrote: Here is a quilt I designed in EQ7. The block comes from the Quilters Cache and is called Octagon and Twist. It is a 12 inch block which is made up of four 6 inch blocks, really two different blocks. I also wrote: I'm not sure that this quilt will ever get made, but I had fun designing it and wanted to share it with you.





Well, as you can see, I did make it! It's no longer called the chocolate and pink quilt, she now has her own name. I call her "Ann". 


Last spring my quilt group had an auction and I won a stack of fabric from one of our co-presidents. Ann donated this lovely brown fabric and there were yards of it! I just love it and decided to make a quilt that would really show off this print.

Brown and pink has been a popular color combination for some time now. Maybe I'm late to the party on this, but I do really like it. When I was little my mother would often dress me in brown and pink, so this is a nostalgic look for me.



The binding is a little different on this quilt. I always make a mitered binding using 2 1/4 inch strips folded in half. Always. Something prompted me to look in my Fons and Porter quilt book this time and I used their method of attaching binding to two sides, hand sewing to the back, then applying binding to the other two sides with 1/2 inch tails on the ends which are folded over and hand stitched to cover the raw edges of the first two sides.

I also added the little pink strip under the binding. I cut 1 inch wide fabric, folded it in half and sewed it to the edge before applying the binding. Also a Fons and Porter suggestion. I really like the result. I wasn't sure if it would really show in the end, but it does add a very nice touch. I will have to remember to do this again.

Thank you Ann!

No comments: