Thursday, July 10, 2008

Hot summer mornings

It's been really hot and humid on Quilt Island. Yesterday was about 85F (29C), so early this morning I turned the air conditioner on in my attic sewing room and was able to work comfortably for a couple of hours.

You can see that I marked the end of the rows with masking tape and numbered the rows. There are eight squares in a row and there are ten rows. I've done four rows so far.

I picked beet greens from my garden this morning. This vegetable garden is the first real garden I have had in several years. Last year I had a small patch where I grew a tipi of green beans and a few tomato plants. Last fall a neighbor plowed a garden for me on the front lawn. Snap peas, onions, lettuce, beets, swiss chard, potatoes, three kinds of tomatoes, zucchini, green beans and cucumbers are coming along nicely. I also planted brussels sprouts because I really like them, although no one else in the family does. Well, I bought a six pack in the spring and the plants are very robust and little sprouts are starting to show. What was I thinking? Six big plants!

Here's how I like my beet greens:
Boil and drain the beet greens. Add a dash of sesame oil and another dash of tamari and a splash of rice vinegar, not too much...heavenly.

Now I'm off to pick strawberries with my friend.

No comments: