Monday, July 14, 2008

Ocean Waves


Ocean Waves had its annual quilt show at a little church on Orr's Island this past weekend. As always, it was a treat. I went with my two quilting friends, Andrea and Donna.


This is the view as you enter the church. See, it is a small, intimate space for their show. The church is not really used anymore for regular services, only occasional weddings, I'm told.



This gorgeous blue star quilt was done by Nancy Hill. We oohed and aaahed over this one. The colors are clear and vivid. I really like how the sashing is just about the same color as the background, so the sashing doesn't overtake the blocks. The stars are made by strip piecing, I believe. Really special.



Nancy also had three of these mixed media "paintings." She uses fabrics, paints, embroidery, and machine quilting. I think it adds so much to have them framed so nicely. This picture of the red building, the sea, and land in the distance was especially nice. Click on the picture to really see the details. Nancy was there and denied that she is an artist, but I think she is. She said she has taken numerous photos at this location so I am sure she really studies her subject.


This stunning red quilt was a mystery quilt done at Mariner's Compass Quilt shop in Bath. I often don't like mystery quilts. I think it really helps to know what you are doing! But, this quilt really looks terrific, don't you agree?

After the quilt show we went out to eat then shopped at Cottonweeds in Freeport. I picked up the second packet for my Holiday Chorus BOM. Twelve blocks to make this time. I managed to pick up a few more fat quarters and sashing fabric for a sampler quilt we made at my quilt chapter last year.

I have a few more quilt show photos to share, but will wait for another day. Happy Quilting!

2 comments:

Margo in Maine said...

Nice pics...I wish I knew you were going...I was home all day and planned to go but forgot...oh, my loss...sounds like you had fun...

Barb D said...

What a lovely little show that was! Sounds like you are having a "fun" summer too!